Second light.

IMG_1515 IMG_1516

 

This is the second light of the set. I decided to take more material away from this light as I wanted to reduce the bulkiness of the design further. It still fits with the shape of the first light, and will mirror the design nicely I believe.


And repeat.

IMG_1504

IMG_1506

 

Some of the pictures from planning the second light. Although they are a pair I have decided that I want them to be slightly different as this will prompt the viewer to take a second look as their eyes attempt to work out the differences.

 


First Light.

IMG_1482

IMG_1496

 

This is the first finished light of the pair. All that is needed now are hooks to be fixed to the light in various places to enable it to be hung in different ways. I also want to burn the metal again where I have left the marks of making. I think this will give a better finish as it will make the piece darker, and the marks from welding and filing the metal will be gone.

I am happy with the result, I think the form works because there are less rods holding it together and the way they have been joined in an almost random fashion creates more interest as the onlooker will not notice all of the features at first glance.


Creating the first light.

IMG_1471

IMG_1473

IMG_1477

IMG_1480

 

The first step was to put the light bulb holder into the  spring, I decided this was something I wanted to do after playing with the form of the lights. I have chosen not to pursue my original idea, because the form of the light was not working as an art piece, it was simply too bulky and messy when all the components were put together. I still want to incorporate the springs into the light because I think they add interest around the bulb, and the form of the spring is something that interests me. Choosing how to fit the spring bulb holder into the light was relatively easy, it depended how it fit better into the inner shade of the light.

Deciding where to cut the inner shade took a lot of commitment too, as I had to be sure of what I was creating before the first cut. I also had to remember where the pieces would join again. Although I am creating something quite figurative I am also working in quite a precise manner, which is a change from the beginnings of this artefact where it was all about playing around with the forms and simply doing what looked “good” and what didn’t work for the piece.


Visualisation.

IMG_1459

IMG_1460

IMG_1461

 

Its hard to know how the light will look when it is created because there is a lot of material I am planning to cut out to make a less bulky design. I have found creating drawings in this way really useful to help me plan where to cut the shades and join them to one another. I have simply washed out the images and drawn over the pieces I plan to keep, although it is only two dimensional it is the closest thing to actually having the cut materials in front of me. I’m sure that these drawings will be useful too during the making of the lights as I can refer back to them to know how I have planned to reconstruct the artefacts.


Searching for the light.

IMG_1350

IMG_1351

IMG_1356

 

Experimenting with form. I have been experimenting with ways in which I can put together my light. I feel this is going to be a long process as it is hard to create a form that doesn’t look too bulky and ugly. I want the light to be aesthetically pleasing.

The original idea was that it was to hold two bulbs and also be able to be hung or placed almost anywhere. With the addition of the springs the light can almost be thrown as they will absorb the shock. This works in theory, but the springs look too bulky in the frame.


Getting impatient.

25561028-054233 pm.jpg

25561028-054253 pm.jpg

25561028-054306 pm.jpg

25561028-054340 pm.jpg


It’s hard to represent wood using metal.

image

image

Spot welding induction/workshop. Today I had a go at spot welding which is a simple process used to join two pieces of metal, it is a lot more efficient than soldering. So much less mess and hardly any tools are needed.
Read the rest of this entry »