Packaging.

IMG_1212[1] IMG_1211[1]

The nature of the module suggests that a form of “brand identity” would be encouraged. I decided to make some novelty business cards that pop out to create a miniature version of the light. I also chose to laser cut some packaging and etch some information onto it. I chose to keep it plain and simple with space for the product to be fixed in a flat pack format. I wanted to mimic the packaging you find at shops like Ikea where you take home your purchase and build it. DIY can give a sense of satisfaction, and I wanted to give this value to my artwork. I have created something you can build yourself at home.


REGOLIT by IKEA

IMAG0902 IMAG0891 IMAG0903 IMAG0893 IMAG0900

 

Materials: paper, glue, balloon, porcelain slip, invisible thread, LED lights, wiring.

The instillation created reflects the “REGLOIT” design by IKEA, one of the biggest retailers in Cardiff. I have been inspired by our need to own “stuff,” this has lead me to explore ideas of consumerism and material values through their community of spending.

The way I have displayed my work echoes the organisation of IKEA, with minimal objects displayed and others waiting, in piles and rejected, waiting to be chosen.

The context of the work is to fit into the IKEA living space that is desirable in the home. It can also be taken out of its context and put into a gallery environment as a piece of fine art.


Positive and negative.

IMAG0886 IMAG0885 IMAG0884

Got to wire my lights together today. I found a way to connect the lights so that only one resistor is needed and  less wiring is involved, this means that my instillation will be less “messy” and more professional. the wiring was pretty simple, I just found it a chore to keep the positive and negative parts of the LEDs separate and then the wires connected. The lights worked first time after soldering, and they now trail up to the ceiling from the lights and down into the space where the battery can be connceted.


Let there be light.

 

Finally, I have got my work from the firing at 1280 that took place at the end of the previous week. Two days before the submission date for my project I am delighted to find that the concept I have been working towards actually works. Pictures of the instillation will follow, hopefully tomorrow.


Just hanging about.

 

Holding devices for ceramic lighting. I have changed my mind about the way I want to hang my work. I feel that the wire structures were too intrusive. The hard, dark metal took away from the pure white, smooth objects. I have decided to use invisible thread which I am weaving to create little nets to hold the lighting in place. I feel they appear more mysterious now as you cannot exactly see how they are hung.


Super porcelain.

 

New work. Just got these out the bisque, they went in at 1280 today. Their a lot thinner than the previous pieces in porcelain, so I am hoping i have finally made a light that works.


Having a blast.

 

Sand blasting induction. Because of the thickness of the ceramic I decided to give sandblasting a go to thin out the surface. Unfortunately the ceramic is not a consistent thickness and the nature of sandblasting means that holes were created where the ceramic was thinner. This is unfortunate, but I have plans that will incorporate my thick and thin pieces.


In search of the light.

Over the easter break I went back to basics with my paper mache. Firing my objects is a long process as they must be bisque fired before being fired at 1280, so experimentation with the materials that are lost during firing is interesting. It allows me to play with ideas and positions of my works. This is also useful because the work is fragile once fired.


Nice to handle, nice to hold.


 

The first trial of porcelain is out of the kiln, it has only been put through a combustible bisque at 1000 degrees so it is not as translucent as it potentially could be. The ultra bright LEDs do not shine through the ceramic at the moment, I am hoping this will change after the next firing. However, I like them as objects to hold. Many people have commented on the smoothness of the object and how appealing it becomes when held. They feel fragile, as if they could be broken easily yet their structure is strong and they have a weight to them. I want the final instillation piece to involve light and also be an interactive piece of work. I want the objects I am creating to look touchable and to be held by the onlooker.


Porcelain firing.

 

Porcelain lights. I put these into the kiln today, so they should be out over the weekend. Then I get to play with the lights and arduino, which I have been waiting for for so long. The debris that is left after firing may create some interesting shadows within the work, but we will have to wait until next week to find out.