Final Outcome.

IMG_1170[1]

Here they are, my lights all packaged and ready to be sold.


Refining the design.

IMG_1196[1]

The design of the light has been developed from a previous project, so there have been a few problems to fix. One of them is the stability of the light, this was only fully realised when the light fitting and other components were put on top. The light fitting is brass, which is quite weighty and meant that it was too easy to knock over the light. As the design is almost impossible to change without starting from the beginning. I have chosen to add a stand at the bottom. It fits with the  flat pack concept and simply slots together in a similar way. The final stands will be made in the same materials and finished in the same way as the light.


Packaging.

IMG_1212[1] IMG_1211[1]

The nature of the module suggests that a form of “brand identity” would be encouraged. I decided to make some novelty business cards that pop out to create a miniature version of the light. I also chose to laser cut some packaging and etch some information onto it. I chose to keep it plain and simple with space for the product to be fixed in a flat pack format. I wanted to mimic the packaging you find at shops like Ikea where you take home your purchase and build it. DIY can give a sense of satisfaction, and I wanted to give this value to my artwork. I have created something you can build yourself at home.


Adventures in wood stains.

IMG_1136[1]

I wanted to get away from the pine of the ply used to laser cut as it can look cheap. I also wanted to give the wooden lights a more vintage feel to match the components I have chosen. These are just a few of the pieces I have played with, I have also experimented with different varnishes and using wax to give a smoother finish. I prefer the dark look and I feel it may compliment the coloured flux I have chosen more than a lighter wood.


Measurements and technical things.

IMG_1138[1]

The most important component for the light is this 10mm threaded rod. Except that it isn’t actually 10mm. I’ve spent a lot of time working out the measurements of the rod and also refining the cuts made using the laser cutter as material is lost when the piece is cut. Finally I have got there, and the bar fits snugly into both the wooden measurements and the perspex. There’s more experimentation to come.