PDP/ Reflections on Constellation Term One.

At the beginning of the year I chose Theo’s option, which looked at the idea of humour in art and design. I chose this because some of the works I create are unusual and are different to what they may first appear. I enjoy making works that surprise or delight the onlooker. Starting with the basics of what makes things funny was interesting. I decided towards the end of the module that my work isn’t necessarily about making people laugh, it is more about the ability to do something unexpected. I enjoy making interactive pieces, so looking at product design examples was helpful.

 

The presentation I created at the end of the module was on the topic of the theory we had explored and how it relates to my practice. I chose to analyse a project I did in the first year. The brief was “Cabinet of Curiosities;” I chose to create a collection of forks using as many different processes and materials as I could manage. The end piece meant I had a drawer, a part of a cabinet; that looked at the usability of the works I had created. There was also a short set of videos to accompany the works. I believe the works created an unexpected experience. This relates to the theory I had been looking at relating the incongruity theory of humour and the interactivity in my work.

 

I found this module interesting, yet it turned out to carry little relevance to my work since the first term, as I have not used any of the theory in other parts of my work. I have been more focused on the interactivity and creating things that can change in different environments. I also seem to be more concerned with the status of my practice and where it fits; it is not design yet not wholly art. I have been making pieces to express these tensions, such as the bronze cast and laser cut wooden light box.


Medal experiments.

20131202-163300.jpg

20131202-163314.jpg

20131202-163353.jpg

20131202-163401.jpg

Medal development. I’ve been quite busy developing my medal ideas and aesthetics. I have successfully 3D printed a circular lithopane and taken a mould, which l have then cast porcelain. These are test pieces, so I can see how much they shrink in the kilns at different temperatures. Also, to test the opacity. From my adventures in porcelain last year I believe they will work. I hope.

The next step is to look at glazes and methods of getting the text, which translates to ‘presence is more than being’, on to the pieces. I think I want the text to obstruct the image, this can only be decided through experimentation though.

I’m hoping that glazing will happen this week.