Pop.

Clear glaze inside.

 

Balloon experiments. Previous paper mache balloons having been dipped in clay slip and hanging to dry, the ceramic outcome after being reduction fired at 1000 degrees, experiments with glaze. I only put two coats of slip onto the balloons as I want the final outcome (in porcelain) to have a translucent quality. Unfortunately this makes them weaker, and the clay did crack as it dried (this was also because the clay shrunk at a faster rate than the balloon). When I went to pick them up not all of the material had burnt out (steel wire) so this has put more strain on the clay and increased the fragility. However, glazing the shells will strengthen them – I have put a clear glaze on the outside and just need to spray the glaze on the outside and they will be fired again to see if this improves their strength.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s